There are few words to describe quite how good this smells when it’s cooking. It is the most mouth-watering dish in the world, and the taste is certainly not a let down. It must be the pesto that smells so amazing and makes this one of the most satisfying and comforting meals imaginable. The beans make it really hearty and substantial, the bread crumbs on top give it a bit of crunch and the pesto lends it a wonderful taste of Italy. All in all, perfection!
Bean & Pesto Bake
Serves 4, from Good Housekeeping Step-By-Step Vegetarian
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp mixed herbs
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp pesto
400g tin cannelini beans, drained
400g tin borlotti beans with liquid
25g ground almonds
50g cheddar, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, garlic and herbs for about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the tomatoes and pesto.
3. Add the cannelini beans along with the borlotti beans and their liquid. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened.
4. Season and dollop into an ovenproof dish.
5. Mix together the breadcrumbs, ground almonds and grated cheddar. Sprinkle on top of the bean mixture.
6. Bake for 15 minutes until crispy and golden brown on top. Enjoy the aroma!