Hong Kong seems to operate on some kind of alternate timezone, where life just flies by at a ridiculous rate. How else can you explain the fact that it’s already November? And mid-November at that. I suppose part of the reason I can’t believe it, is that it just doesn’t feel like winter here. Yes, the temperature has dropped – it was 17 degrees one day last week, and I felt rather chilly – and yes, the nights are dark. But it was another tropical weekend, and there’s no sense of hurrying home to snuggle up in front of the fire.
Truthfully there are many things about November that usually make me complain bitterly (hard to believe, given my sunny disposition): trudging to work in bleak, rainy weather, feeling permanently cold, barely seeing the sunlight. But then you get to wrap up warm in your winter woollies, drink an abundance of hot beverages, and who doesn’t love that feeling of getting home to your warm house and a hearty meal on a wintery evening?
If I were experiencing the winter back in the UK, I would be complaining. But missing out on it makes me complain too! So, here is the perfect dinner for if you are battling against the wintery elements – or like me, just sort of wishing you were.
Sausage Casserole (serves 2)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 vegan sausages
1/2 onion, sliced
1 tbsp chopped sage (or 1 tsp dried)
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can butter beans, drained
1. Heat oven to 180C. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the sausages for 3-4 minutes (longer if they’re frozen). When they are slightly browned, transfer to a plate and set aside for later.
2. Add the other tbsp oil to the same pan, and saute the onion and sage for about 8 minutes.
3. Pour in the tinned tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes until it has thickened slightly. Season well – as with most of my savoury food, I like plenty of pepper on this.
4. Turn off the heat, stir in the butter beans, and transfer to an oven-proof dish.
5. Arrange the sausages on top, pushing them into the mixture. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the sausages are cooked and tender.