It’s so hard to draw a line under the festive indulgence. I couldn’t stop at New Year, because I still had a few more days on holiday. I couldn’t stop when I got back to Hong Kong because I was (and, alas, remain) jet-lagged and sleep-deprived, thus in need of comfort food. I guess I could have stopped on Monday when I started back at work, were it not for that box of chocolates I was given on Sunday which might go off (…in the fridge).
Despite the lingering temptation of those chocolates, I am pretty much getting back on track now: back at the gym and ready to rustle up some healthy soups, salads and vegetables galore.
Of course, some people might say that sticking a glorious mountain of haloumi atop my salads somewhat negates the health benefits…those people are best avoided, in my experience!
Chickpea, Haloumi & Tomato Salad
Serves 2, from Cranks Bible
400g can chickpeas, drained
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp each parsley and coriander
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
dash soy sauce
quarter red onion, finely chopped
2 handfuls rocket
handful black olives
handful sun-dried tomatoes
1. Preheat your griddle pan or grill. In a bowl, mix the chickpeas with the lemon juice, herbs, oil, garlic, soy sauce, Tabasco, onion and seasoning.
2. Cut the haloumi into 5mm thick slices. Baste with a little extra oil and griddle for about 1 minute on each side.
3. Divide the rocket leaves between each plate.
4. Pile the chickpea salad on top.
5. Garnish with the olives and tomatoes.
6. Place the haloumi slices on top and serve at once.