I have a spring in my step and a smile on my face these days – after some tough times last year, I feel contented, confident and carefree again. I suspect the source of my happiness is not these baked goods (though they certainly don’t hurt) so much as an incredible trip to Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand last week. It was completely amazing – I wandered around temples, stuffed myself with delicious food, cooked 14 (FOURTEEN!) dishes at a cooking class, and encountered these gentle giants at the Elephant Nature Park…
Quite unforgettable. And for days when there aren’t elephants and green curries, let there be breakfast muffins. I defrosted some for my first morning back at work and they even made that bearable!
Orange Breakfast Muffins
Makes 12, from Feast by Nigella Lawson
75g unsalted butter
250g self raising flour
25g ground almonds
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
75g caster sugar
zest of 2 oranges
100ml freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, line a muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Melt the butter and set aside.
3. Mix the flour, ground almonds, bicarb, baking powder, sugar and orange zest in a large bowl.
4. Whisk together the orange juice, milk and egg, then add the cooled melted butter.
5. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry, mixing with a fork all the time, until just combined.
6. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly, and tuck in while still warm.