Earlier this week I celebrated my birthday, the last of my twenties. Despite the fact that I love presents and cake, I’m not crazy about my birthday and prefer to keep it very low-key and avoid being the centre of attention. But of course, it is a day of treats, and I always start as I mean to go on with a wonderful breakfast. This one is perfect, because all the preperation can be done the night before so all you have to do in the morning is pop it in the oven. It’s also perfect because it’s a cheesy, stodgy, savoury bread and butter pudding, and possibly tastes even better as leftovers. Nom nom!
Triple Cheese & Onion Strata
Serves 4, from Nigella Christmas
1 small baguette
3 spring onions, roughly sliced
1/2 ball mozzarella, torn into chunks
25g grated parmesan
50g cheddar, broken into chunks
3 tbsp sour cream
small bunch of chives
1. The night before, slice the baguette into 1cm slices and discard the pointy ends. Arrange the slices in an ovenproof dish.
2. Put the spring onions, three cheeses, sour cream and eggs in the food processor.
3. Blitz until quite smooth and creamy.
4. Pour this gooey mixture over the bread slices, cover the dish in clingfilm and leave in the fridge overnight to soak.
5. In the morning, preheat the oven to 180C and get the dish out of the fridge, removing the clingfilm.
6. Cook for 25-30 minutes until nicely set and golden brown.
7. Use scissors to snip the chives over the top, slice up and serve!