As it’s quite rare to hear any good news stories (and as I am in desperate need of treats), let’s keep celebrating Prince George’s arrival. Baking is always my preferred mode of celebration, and these cookies are very quick and easy to make and can, of course, be made in other shapes for less regal occasions. I added the cherries and glitter to give them a bit of sparkle, but I’m sure they’d be just as good without such adornments.
Makes about 16
250g plain flour
85g golden caster sugar
175g butter, softened
100g glace cherries, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Put the flour, sugar and butter in a bowl and mix together with an electric whisk until it becomes clumpy.
3. Bring it together with your hands.
4. Add the cherries and work them in to the dough.
5. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface.
6. Stamp out crown shapes.
7. Carefully transfer the crown shapes to the baking tray.
8. Bake for 10 minutes.
9. Brush with gold glitter.
10. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.