Lately life feels like a bit of a whirlwind. The weeks are flying by and it feels like I’m achieving very little – after a long (often very long) week at work it’s a struggle to find time and energy for a big cooking session at the weekend, as much as I enjoy it. My ideal lasagne (this one), takes a bit of prep time, whereas this quick and easy version gets the job done and gives me more precious time for leisure activities. Such as sleeping. Thank goodness it’s a three day weekend here! Happy mid-autumn festival tomorrow, and indeed, happy extra day in bed!
Simple Spinach & Mushroom Lasagne
Serves 4, from BBC GoodFood
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp dried or fresh thyme leaves
400g mushrooms, sliced
300g light cream cheese
4 tbsp grated vegetarian Parmesan
1. Heat the oven to 200C.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the garlic for a minute.
3. Add the thyme and mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes until they soften a bit.
4. Chuck in the spinach and stir through until it’s wilted.
5. Remove from the heat and stir through the cream cheese and 1 tablespoon of the parmesan (you may want to drain the liquid from the pan first to avoid the lasagne being too juicy).
6. Dollop a third of the mushroom mixture into a large ovenproof dish.
7. Top with a layer of lasagne.
8. Repeat another layer of mushrooms, lasagne and finally top with the last of the mushrooms and sprinkle on the remaining parmesan.
9. Bake for about 35 minutes until golden and delicious.