Spring has sprung in Manchester. The trees are covered in blossom, the sun has made several consecutive appearances, I have left the house in a jacket and not frozen to death. Even though the root vegetables in this dish are more wintry, I think of mint very much as a spring flavour so it seems like the opportune moment to share this spicy little recipe. The mint is so refreshing it balances out the spiciness beautifully.
Mint & Root Vegetable Curry
Slightly adapted from World Food Cafe, serves 4
6 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp each ground coriander, ground ginger and ground turmeric
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 large handfuls mint leaves, chopped
small handful coriander leaves, chopped
1. Parboil the potato and turnip in a large pan of boiling water. Drain well.
2. Heat the oil in the same, dried out large pan. Add the parboiled veg and fry until they start to soften.
3. Add the spices and stir for 1 minute until everything is well-coated and fragrant.
4. Tip in the tomatoes and half a can of water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Add the mint, coriander and seasoning. Stir through.
6. Serve immediately with rice.